Book Review: Smashed by Arul Sirpy



You know what they say about 'Never judge a book by it's cover.' Even though the cover of this book looks simple, the plot of the book is not. It's about three boys, a tea shop, a crow, a politician and some other people; revealing anything beyond that would amount to revealing the story so I'm stopping here.

The plot unfolds slowly, in bits and pieces, introducing a lot of characters in the first few chapters (which initially creates a confusion). But in the later part of the book the plot thickens, bridging the gaps and ends up neatly without any loose ends. Kudos to the author.

The best parts about the books are generous doses of dry humor reminding me of Wodehouse's books, brilliant descriptions of Chennai, and mouth watering descriptions of food. Having stayed in Chennai for a while, I could relate to some places. And the book left me nostalgic. If I really have to complain, I'd only say there were too many characters and coincidences. It's brilliant that the author tied them all up neatly in the end.

Pick it up, you won't regret it! The humor is so good it's hard to believe this is the debut book of the author. My husband looked at me weirdly as I burst out laughing at some parts. The book is long, but is a page-turner and kept me hooked till the end. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who loves reading humor.

My rating 4/5.


No comments:

Post a Comment