Book Review: When Only Love Remains by Durjoy Datta



"When only love remains" by Durjoy Datta is a haunting story of love between a singer and a flight attendant. I call it 'haunting' because it deals with two deep issues: love and death.

The story starts off at a very slow pace. In fact I had to force myself to read the first half of the book. But, in the next half, the story picked up pace to have a beautiful end—an end almost too good to be true. Even though tears welled up in my eyes a few times throughout the book, even though the book was written beautifully with every character fleshed out, I still couldn’t believe that kind of love exists. It’s too good to be true.

Coming to the story, it’s about a boy (he’s twenty-one) called Devrat, who drops out from engineering to become a singer, and a girl called Avanti. Avanti accidentally stumbles into Devrat’s facebook profile and nurses a secret crush on him. One day, during one of her flight trips to Kolkata, she attends his live performance at a bar and there they talk to each other for the first time. After that first meeting, the story progresses at a rapid pace, with both of them falling in love with each other. Devrat delivers cheesy, ‘cute’ lines, and Avanti calls him her puppy (which irritated me to no end) and both of them have unnatural, deep conversations. Fate intervenes in the form of an accident on their anniversary. I don’t want to reveal further details in case I give the story away.

It’s a regular bittersweet story, but it’s not the plot but lines that is beautiful. Her love for him is so true that it makes you ache from inside. I only hope the story makes sense to eighteen-year-olds in love. I feel I’m already too old for a story like this.




5 comments:

  1. The story of When Only Love Remains starts with Avanti, a young flight attendant being obsessed with Devrat, a musician. Avanti being Devrat’s ardent fan always had wished and dreamed of meeting him in real and has pictured over and over on the conversation she would have when she meets him. Then comes the night when they actually meet and instantly click with each other. When they finally meet, they both realise that they have their own ups and downs, with extra baggage of the past haunting on them, and how despite their flaws, they make a perfect love story is the whole plot.
    When I first got the book, I was just so excited that it was a signed copy by Durjoy Dutta. As soon as I began reading the book, I just couldn't put it down. I wanted to know where the two characters of the story go and what happens to them
    I was sure surprised with every page I turned, I smiled in certain situations, even said an 'aww..', laughed and almost had tears in my eyes towards the end.. I jumped with joy when the book ended, it has been one of the best books I have read by Durjoy ! Each scene and situation he has written makes you want to believe that it is happening for real and right in front of your eyes. It will definitely brew that romantic feeling that will make you fall in love all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. I too enjoyed reading the book

      Delete
    2. This book literally made me cry... First I thought that this book was a waste of tym bt then slowly this book looked interesting .... The first tym dey met .... first tym dey missed each other... and all.... !! I am telling you vil really cry at the ending.... i am in love wid dis book and dis author.. <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  2. Is dis a real lyf story!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book literally made me cry.... First I thought this book is a waste of tym.. but slowly the book started being interesting ... The first night they met... the first tym dey missed each other .... and alllllll !!! I am in love wid dis book and dis author <3 <3

    ReplyDelete